In the modern times, art of drawing graffiti took root and flourished in turbulent times throughout the history where people wanted to express themselves against the establishment. Revolutionaries across the world have greatly popularized this art form. However, graffiti drawing has a long history and it can be traced back to pre-historic times (as far as 30,000 BCE). The graffiti drawings of this period were in the form of cave paintings. The definition of graffiti is presented as scribbling or drawing on a flat surface. You can draw letters and different shapes in this form of art. Graffiti drawing is not bound by a set of rules or standard techniques. Therefore, you shouldn't rely on a specific technique or school of drawing.
Drawing Graffiti on Paper
The following instructions should guide you through the process of drawing graffiti names on paper.
- Start drawing graffiti by selecting a word, preferably your name.
- Draw the letters with enough spacing between each of them. Maintaining proper spacing helps in their decoration.
- Make use of capital letters for graffiti drawing. There are many different styles and fonts you can choose from for this activity.
- Never try to copy the art work created by other artists; you can however, always use their style.
- It is possible to develop your own style of graffiti. However, it is requires a lot of practice and experimentation.
- Decide on the type of edges you are going to use in the graffiti. Bubble edges are commonly used. Use of sharp edges also gives the drawing a nice look.
- It is recommended to draw lightly in the beginning. Erasing and changing the design becomes easier with this approach.
- Don't create an outline that is too big in size.
- Start the activity of decorating and embellishing the graffiti after you have completed their basic outline.
- Try to vary the thickness of letters to give them an artistic look. A 3D-effect can also be added to these letters by shading the outline in varying proportions.
- There are many additional details you can make use of in graffiti drawing. Drawing bolts of lightning and blaze of fire around the words are some of the additional details. You can also create your own designs. One thing to be kept in mind here is that these embellishments should enhance the appearance of your drawing. Overdoing it would make the drawing appear tacky.
- As far as possible, make use of crayons. Coloring with these oil-based colors is easier in comparison to that with water colors (at least for beginners). Color pencils and markers also are suited for graffiti drawing.
Tips for Drawing Graffiti
The ideas below should prove to be helpful for beginners.
- An important point to keep in mind is that drawing graffiti is an art and not a science to make it appear procedural and heavy. Just let your hand loose for the strokes and lines to appear speedy and confident. Only then can you develop this art.
- Always try to learn from works of senior artists. The detailing and variety of strokes used by them should be incorporated in your drawings. You can thereby enrich your style through continuous learning.
- Start with simple designs and then after enough practice, try to elaborate on these designs.
- Internet is a rich source of information where you can find lots of graffiti images on various websites. Learn from these images and as said earlier, don't copy them.
- There are many different exercises that senior artists recommend for improving the strokes. Some of these exercises are drawing waves, circles, slanting lines and other designs. In the beginning, you might find these exercises boring. Later on, however, you would learn to enjoy this process. After all, practice is the only way to become perfect.
There is great scope for experimentation in graffiti drawing. You can literally try out thousands of styles and techniques in this form of art. Once you become well versed with the basics of drawing graffiti names, try to incorporate pictures and different types of designs in the lettering. There are many different ways to enhance the appearance of your graffiti drawings. Hope you learned something on how to draw graffiti names on paper through this write-up.