Watercolor paintings are a beautiful medium of creative expression. Mastering the strokes is of prime importance. To sell your watercolor paintings online, you need to know the right sources. This ArtHearty article lists the basics of this art, and also provides tips on how you can sell your work of art online to get a good market for it.
Always get your work licensed. It is a proof that the work of art in question is your original creation and does not belong to anybody else.
Painting is not just a hobby; for some people, it acts as a therapy, whereas for others, it is a full-fledged profession. This is one such activity that relaxes your mind, body, and soul, and gives you complete freedom to express yourself in your own way. Painting something using any medium, be it oil, acrylic, watercolors, poster colors, batik, or even pastels or crayons, can transport you to a different place in your mind. The fine art of watercolor painting has seen its share of transitions. It is loved by some people and not so loved by others, but it still remains popular. The following paragraphs provide more information about this art form.
Basics for Beginners
Watercolor painting is a great way to express your creative talent. If you are a beginner, then there are many resources you must be equipped with, which will help you get started. This technique is a bit tricky to master. If you have that creative spark in you, then you first need to get your supplies ready. The following are the items that you will need.
- You need a good set of brushes that include flat brushes, round ones, and oval ones. Check hobby stores for beginner’s kits that have brush sets. Depending on the type of picture you will be painting, decide the brush size you need.
- The next step is the paints. You can either buy paints in the form of cakes or those that come in tubes; it depends entirely on you. You will also need a pallet.
- Next is the paper. You can either use simple blank sheets that you have at home, or a drawing pad. Remember, the thicker the paper, the better. A thin paper will warp and change shape when the paint dries. Other basic supplies you will need are a water holder, drawing board, pencils, erasers, tissue papers or towels, drawing board clips, etc.
How to Sell Your Paintings Online
Professionals have many options when it comes to selling their watercolor paintings. Your local art gallery would be the best solution. This would help you establish a name and as you gain a strong foothold in the market, the sales would also rise. Most budding artists plan group exhibitions to save on the expenditure, as this would help them market their works at a lower price. Another option is to sell your watercolor paintings online. There are a few different methods that you can follow. These methods are listed below.
- Look for online galleries that host the works of new artists. Do your research properly and send your pieces to the ones that best suit you at the moment. Check their submission process and whether they take any commission for displaying your work. Read through their terms and conditions very carefully to avoid misunderstandings later on.
- There are many websites where you can directly advertise and sell your work. Sites like eBay, Deviant Art, Craigslist, Artbreak, etc. are used by many budding and seasoned artists to sell their work. However, read the sites’ terms properly before displaying your work for sale on any of them. There are also many online artists’ communities that you can join.
- You can also do some self advertising by displaying your work on social sites such as Facebook and Twitter. You can even create a blog for this. The way you advertise yourself here also matters. The manner in which you display your work and how you describe it are just as important. The main aim here is to get maximum exposure. Remember to regularly keep updating your page with photos of your latest creations.
- Another good option is to create your own website. It can be a great way to showcase your work. You will either have to get someone to maintain and update it regularly or you will have to do it yourself. This will give you the freedom to display your art as you feel.
- A few things to remember are that while taking photos of your work, see which ones are the best, most effective, and look most similar to the original, as there is always a slight difference between a photo and an original. When pricing, do not set an amount that is too high or too low. Be reasonable. When showcasing a piece online, always include the price and a brief description where required.
Why Are Watercolors Popular?
Watercolor painting is one of the most beautiful ways to express your creative talent, making this medium quite popular among people. There are various reasons for its increasing appeal, some of which are listed below.
- The beauty of watercolor paintings is that it allows the artist to use his/her spontaneity and create works with just a few color washes or strokes. Depending on the subject, this medium is also very fast to use. It does not involve any cumbersome process.
- Compared to other mediums of painting, this one gradually becomes easier. There may be some hiccups when you start out, but it is a matter of mastering the strokes of the brush. With practice, you can see improved results in a shorter period.
- It is greatly favored by those who are on the move. It is the first choice of most artists when it comes to landscapes and seascapes. The kits are light and easy to carry, and there is no need to lug too many supplies, except for the palette, water container, and paper.
- Experts do not even use a pencil for the basic drawing. Watercolors also dry faster than any other medium.
- Pastel and charcoal works may prove to be difficult to carry for the fear of being smudged, but this does not hold true for a watercolor paintings.
- This medium proves to be ideal for depicting nature and even abstracts. The beauty of the strokes is such that it helps you fill large areas in a short time, and if you have a very good creative bent of mind, then you can use these strokes and create new results that do not need any planning.
- Watercolors help you to get results which you may not even have visualized. This adds to the beauty of your work.
Selling watercolor paintings online is not really difficult, and is an option that is exercised by many artists. Just keep the above mentioned important considerations in mind, have patience, and once you get some recognition, your works of art may start selling as masterpieces!